How to Braid a Pie Crust: 5 Steps
In addition to unique flavor profiles, Brooklyn-based bakery Four & Twenty Blackbirds is known for their beautiful handmade crusts. Here’s how to add some of their special flair to your own homemade pie, from Melissa and Emily Elsen, the sister duo behind the bakery.
- Roll out pie dough a few inches larger than the size of your pie tin.
- Using a pizza cutter, trim left and right edges of rolled-out dough, then cut vertically into ¾-inch-wide strips.
- Starting from left to right, weave three strips of dough at a time into braids. (It’s helpful to have somebody hold one end of the braid!)
- Top the filled pie with braided strips.
- Crimp top and bottom crusts together.