Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, divided
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt or blueberry yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blueberries, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. Put 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat pastry flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and cardamom in a medium bowl and mix together with a fork or your fingers until well combined and mixture is in large clumps; set streusel aside.
Put remaining 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, vanilla and eggs then pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently fold in 1 cup of the blueberries.
Spoon batter into prepared pan and sprinkle reserved streusel over the top. Scatter remaining 1 cup blueberries over the streusel then top with almonds. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Once cooled, loosen edges of cake and transfer to a plate. Cut into slices and serve.