With the fragrance and flavor of a gingerbread cookie and the dense, moist texture of a brownie, this holiday pie is a keeper. Crumble a few gingersnaps over the top of the pie for a fun garnish.
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus another 1/4 cup, whipped, for serving
- 1/4 cup unsulfered molasses
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup fine dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- Whipped cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prick pie crust all over with a fork. Line with parchment paper, fill with dried beans or pie weights and bake for 25 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights.
In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cream, molasses, butter, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves, nutmeg, salt and eggs until well combined. Whisk in bread crumbs. Pour into warm crust and bake until filling is set in the middle, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack until warm or at room temperature. Spoon whipped cream onto the pie and evenly spread over top just before serving.