Paleo-Friendly Grain-Free Sausage and Apple Stuffing
A twist on a classic recipe that’s also paleo-friendly.
- 2 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (made without sugar)
- 2 large yellow onions, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 cage-free eggs, whisked
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 12x9-inch baking dish with ghee.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown sausage until crumbled and just cooked through. Remove the skillet from heat and transfer sausage to a very large bowl.
Heat remaining ghee in the skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, apples, mushrooms, parsley, sage, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Sauté until very soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer to the bowl with sausage, add almond flour and stir to combine. Add the whisked eggs and stir well. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until browned on top.