Salad with Beets, Gorgonzola and Maple Dressing
This beautiful fall salad features thinly sliced raw beets, large chunks of creamy gorgonzola cheese and toasted pecans. The sweetness of the maple dressing balances the bitterness of the radicchio and escarole, both members of the chicory family. Serve it at your holiday meal alongside richer dishes like turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes.
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium-sized beets (various colors), sliced paper thin
- 1 bunch escarole, washed, leaves trimmed
- 2 heads Treviso radicchio, washed, leaves trimmed
- 6 ounces gorgonzola, broken into large pieces
- 1 cup toasted pecan pieces
- Ground black pepper
Mix vinegar, maple syrup, shallot, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Adjust for seasoning.
In a small bowl, toss sliced beets with ¼ cup dressing and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, gently toss escarole and Treviso leaves with enough dressing to lightly coat. Divide among individual plates and top with sliced beets, gorgonzola and pecans. Finish with a couple grinds of black pepper over each salad.